Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

FEDEXED MY LUGGAGE

Traveling out to the West Coast for a few weeks + tacking on a Tahoe trip with my gear meant that I had 3 bags packed for the trip. Three days before heading out, however, I got a call from work asking me to come to DC first. In 30 minutes, I had changed my housing, my rental car, my flight, and bought an Amtrak ticket from NY Penn Station to DC Union Station.

But what was I to do with my luggage?
I was NOT going to lug all of my bags from NY to DC to SF.

Not to worry! I had always heard about Fedex Luggage services, but had never tried it. So on Monday, before I went to work I took my bags to a Fedex that opened at 7AM in the morning to ship my snowboard bag and 2 other pieces of luggage. You don't even need to put your things in boxes. They'll just tie your zippers shut, add a Fedex tag and ship your luggage ground. For me to ship my bags across the country it was going to cost me $87... that's it... and it was going to take 4 days to get out to California.

So, when I head off to DC with my little Rimowa carry-on, I felt as light as a feather!

Unfortunately, I had to learn one huge lesson: 4 days ground shipping really meant 7 days. Shipped my things on Monday. Packed only enough clothes for 4 days in my little carry-on. And Fedex tracking kept telling me that I would get my luggage on Monday. I had to do laundry on day 3. I had to do some shopping at Safeway. I had to buy sneakers. (Got into workout clothes to actually exercise on this trip and found that I only had boots, so I just went to bed early that day.)

I'd still do this again for a long trip. In fact, I'm shipping all of my bags back East, except Rimowa, since I can't bear for her to get beat up.

No comments:

Post a Comment